[VoiceOps] Rate Center to LATA map

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Sep 28 18:23:23 EDT 2010

On 09/28/2010 05:11 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:

> No, really, I'm not screwing with you guys.  There used to be a LATA
> column in either the NANPA or the Pooling sheet.  It has been removed.
>
> Part of me wonders if this is a conspiracy to screw little guys like
> us right as more and more Tier 1 & wholesale termination providers
> switch from NPA-NXX to LATA/OCN billing.

Over time, Verizon and AT&T and Telcordia have been pushing agendas
within the working groups behind NANPA (such as ATIS) that handle what
information the NANPA is allowed to publish openly. In 2007 they removed
the CLLI code field, ostensibly for antiterrorism reasons.

Apparently knowing a 11 character identifier was a serious risk to
public safety and so the logical conclusion was to remove it.

It couldn't possibly be because I was taking that information, combining
it with other information, and competing against Telcordia.

Somewhere in my pile of crap I have all the legal threats they sent me
when they first launched my website. It was good times.

-Paul

(Owner of telcodata.us)