[VoiceOps] efax port out

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Apr 26 13:20:58 EDT 2011

On 4/26/11 10:10 AM, Carlos Alvarez wrote:

> In my case I had requested a port from one CLEC to another (Cox to Time
> Warner, PRI to PRI) with about 70 days notice.  Cox basically ignored
> it, and come move time, they had not acted upon it (normal with them,
> they suck when you try to leave).  Around midnight I had a TW NOC tech
> on the phone and he asked things like "do you own these numbers" and "do
> you authorize me to do this port without concurrence from your old
> carrier?"  Then he did it instantly.

This will almost certainly break calls coming from the old carrier at
least temporarily, which may or may not be a big deal.  And Cox may take
their sweet time routing to the ported numbers if ever.

Even when doing a normal port from the ILEC we very frequently run into
a situation where they don't pull the numbers from the local switch.
Everyone can call the target number except for anyone in the same town
who uses the old carrier.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net