[VoiceOps] SMS enabled DIDs

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Tue Apr 26 22:19:02 EDT 2011

I don't believe it's that "simple".

The main issue is that SMS messages were originally hacked into the GSM
standard, not a SS7 protocol.  While SMS can be carried over SS7, most
wireless networks, at least traditionally, did not follow standard SS7 and
PSTN concepts in their implementation of SMS, so they are basically separate
systems not really connected to the PSTN.

As I understand it, most of the interconnections between different networks
that carry SMS are done through gateway providers or private peering.
Verisign was the most popular and/or well known for some time:

http://www.verisign.com/static/005168.pdf

This is also part of why it took so long to start having inter-carrier MMS.

Of course the other problem is at "layer 8", so using a well-established
gateway is the best way to ensure you have connectivity to all the players
without building your own legal team.

Nowadays, many of the SMS gateway companies offer all types of connectivity
including SS7 or SIGTRAN, SOAP, SMTP, and a bunch of proprietary protocols.

There are also some good open source projects for running your own SMSC:

http://www.kannel.org/news.shtml

	-Scott