[VoiceOps] DC Earthquake

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Wed Aug 24 09:33:36 EDT 2011

Aren't there all sorts of controls in the cellular network that preserve
priority for "emergency" communications such as federal agencies, fire and
ambulance, and law enforcement?  I've heard general speculation about this,
but nothing from anyone that actually knows the networks.

Perhaps FEMA or other OEM (Office of Emergency Management, not original
equipment manufacturers) departments have some button they can press that
puts tighter restrictions in place for civilian use of the networks when
disaster strikes, explaining the capacity issues so many people saw.