[VoiceOps] T.38 termination provider?

Brandon Lehmann brandon at bitradius.com
Tue Dec 13 11:15:22 EST 2011

We have encountered many of the problems expressed in this thread. We had no problem (close to 100% success rate) sending and receiving faxes using uLaw in and out of our server cluster; however, passing those calls to the customer ATA devices resulted in a large number of problems (25% success rate if we were lucky). No matter what we did, the latency and packet loss killed the handshake or dropped the fax part way through the transmission. After months of testing, we were able to blame the "last-mile" network connections.

What we ended up doing was capturing all faxes in our cluster with a hylafax server and then passing it on to the recipient. In the case of inbound, the call comes in uLaw to our cluster, is passed to the hylafax server which queues the fax, and then forwards it to the end-user ATA via uLaw. Outbound works the same way but in the opposite direction. Call routing for the ATA forces all calls (we tell our customers that they are Fax only extensions) to hylafax iaxmodems, hylafax queues up the fax, and then forwards it out to the unknown. Yes, this took a bit of scripting and playing with dialplans; however, the result is amazing. We are now seeing a success rate close to 99% (from what we can tell, the only failures are the result of network congestion on the user end). As such, we have ignored T.38 all together as we experienced more problems on the ATA side than we cared to handle.

We have found that our customers also love the email2fax & fax2email gateway we added when we implemented this service. Furthermore, they enjoy the fact that they can log into the web site and pull up copies of every fax they have sent or received. Needless to say, by fixing one problem, we have created an additional revenue stream in the process.

Some food for thought...

---

Brandon Lehmann  CCNA, CCAI, CFOT, Net+, A+, Security+
BitRadius, LLC
510 Court Street
Fremont, Ohio 43420
Email: brandon at bitradius.com