[VoiceOps] Broadsoft SIP Trunks and ILD Fraud

Mark Holloway mh at markholloway.com
Fri Dec 30 13:08:36 EST 2011

Some items to check:

1) Do you have the voice portal enabled?  If yes, are you allowing users to dial into the voice portal and enable call forwarding to a PSTN number?
2) Do you provide open access to the web portal?  How is your username/password strength?  Once a user account is hacked through the web portal call forwarding is typically enabled for fraud purposes.
3) If you have the voice portal enabled, are you allowing users to obtain outside dial tone to place calls from the voice portal?

A best-practice I always observed was to modify the outgoing dial plan for every Group or Enterprise and disable international call forwarding/transfers. It is very rare customers in the U.S. require this and you are better off disabling by default but having your Sales team ask up front when gathering customer requirements if they really need this enabled.