[VoiceOps] Question for VoiceOps: Platform Monitoring

Reid Stidolph reidstidolph at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 14:58:34 EST 2011

Hi Voiceops,

Curiosity question:  What tools do you use to monitor and troubleshoot your
platform?  Specifically, to track down and troubleshoot small scale issues
such as isolated reports of poor call quality, call drops, protocol
failures, ect. (i.e. not large scale, such as an entire system failure,
interface failure, or switch/router failure)

I would categorize the options as:

-          *Node Level Monitoring *

o   Logs, CDRs, ect. from individual nodes.  These can contain detailed
information or protocol traces from that particular node’s perspective in
the call flow.

o   For example, Acme CDRs containing detailed QoS info, disconnect cause
codes, network info ect.

o   Another example might be Broadworks Xlogs, with protocol traces.

-          *In house Network Monitoring*

o   Port-mirrors, SBC packet-trace, or passive/active taps at key locations
in the call flow, that mirror traffic to a in-house system for analysis.

o   For example, mirroring traffic to a Linux system and running tcpdump, or
snoop to gather pcap traces.

-          *3rd Party Network Monitoring*

o   Vendor provided monitoring solutions, that also gather network data from
taps or port mirrors.

o   For example, Brix, Empirix, Netscout, or other, that can provide call
data, protocol traces, and media analysis.

-          *Other?*

Note that I am not really interested in specific vendors here.  Just looking
to poll VoicOps for their usage and preference of the four main categories.

In my past experience with service providers, I have used each of the above
(some at the same time), and in my opinion they all have their strengths and
weaknesses.  I would be interested to know your experience with this.

Thanks!

-Reid Stidolph