[VoiceOps] Adtran 924 PRI

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Jan 3 21:35:21 EST 2011

On 1/2/11 6:35 PM, Eric Hiller wrote:
> Does phone equipment see the Adtran 924 PRI as a true PRI? Ie. can this be
> used in place of a true PRI? Are there any hangups I should know about? I
> was just going to use this to provide PRI to a customer over SIP rather
> than have to run a PRI as well.

Yes, it works well.  We have several dozen in service.  Many options re
switch type, name display, user/network, etc.  Very flexible box.  No
real issues.  North America only.  No E-1, 120 VAC mains or 48-volt
battery (intended as backup but you can power the box from it.)

Unless you also need numerous analog ports, the 904 is much less
expensixe and does PRI just fine.

> Any advice with the 924?

They work well, no real problems.  Be careful to set clocking in a
sensible manner.  If you feed the 924 from a data T1, clock from line on
that and pass it through to the PRI.  If the PRI is the only T1 in the
system, clock internally.  If the PBX also has a PRI from another
carrier, clock from the customer PBX and fall back to internal.

Ground the Adtran and the PBX to a common earth ground.  This is
especially important if you use the analog ports.

Strangely, Adtran includes wall brackets with these but no rack ears.
You can order them separately.  The 904 and 908 are too narrow to
conventionally rack mount.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net