[VoiceOps] using a T1 to extend PRI service and involuntary fax over sip

Lonny Clark lclarkpdx+voiceops at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:08:10 EST 2011

Most point-to-point T1s that are provisioned are now being backhauled over
IP. This means that the T1 has to be encapsulated in an IP stream, and the
timing for the T1 is also embedded in the stream. Any slips in the timing
may be masked by the backhaul method (you won't see an alarm). It also means
that now you have the possibility of a dropped or out-of-order packet, which
was not possible if the circuit were T1/T3 all the way through. The
possibility of timing issues would also be increased by the fact that now
you are encapsulating twice, once in the point-to-point T1, and also at the
SIP-to-PSTN interface (assuming the PSTN link is TDM). The fax-to-email
service itself has to also demux the data, and then interprets the result of
that as an analog stream using software.

You are stacking cards, and eventually they will fall. Personally, I think
half a percent is a pretty good result. I see about the same rate for
inbound to my fax servers  We also have outbound fax service using one of my
fax servers, and I see 4% failure rate on those. I believe the difference
between the two is that we use SIP on the termination trunk for a large
number of the calls (anything that is not in our local areas).

So, we have TDM in, ethernet transport over OC3 through our network, and PRI
to the fax server (total errors less than 1%). For the outbound, it is PRI
from the fax server, ethernet over OC3 through our network, terminating in
T1 for calls that are local to our POPs, and SIP to a long-distance provider
for any non-local terminations (total errors ~4%).

Lonny Clark