[VoiceOps] Any Metaswitch / Metasphere EAS users?

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Tue Jul 12 09:02:57 EDT 2011

I'm looking for Metaswitch / Metasphere EAS users who would be willing to share some packet captures of the Shared-Line-Appearance and Busy-Lamp-Field features from their platform. If you can share, please let me know.

Background: I'm looking at the effects of fancy signaling features on network capacity. E.g., "Shared Line Appearance" generates NOTIFY and INVITE transactions on every device where the line is shared. That means a lot more signaling. But what does that mean for the network access links and the various QoS policies in use  (e.g., LLQ, CBWFQ, Ethernet strict-priority queues)?

The conventional wisdom used to be that SIP signaling was so minute compared to RTP that you could ignore it. But is that still true?

For those interested -- You can see the results of the Network Design survey, announced on this list in January, at the upcoming ACM IPTComm meeting in Chicago. The network designs of 36 VoIP service providers are considered.

mark at ecg.co  |  +1-229-316-0013  |  http://ecg.co/lindsey