[VoiceOps] SIP options "ping"

Steve Teti steti at monmouth.com
Thu Mar 3 10:16:39 EST 2011

I'm trying to find a way to monitor the status of the SIP service on
some Asterisk servers.  I had a situation the other day where the daemon
was running, but hung, and would not respond to requests.  ICMP pings to
the machine worked, as did monitoring of the process list, but the
machine would not respond to SIP requests.  I found this draft during my
research:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jones-sip-options-ping-02

Anyone know of a unix utility that can easily send a SIP OPTIONS request
to a remote server and return the results in a useful format?  I could
probably construct one using Net::SIP in perl, but I like to take the
easy way out when possible :).

Thanks,
Steve