[VoiceOps] Unportable Numbers

Mike Ray, MBA, CNE, CTE mike at astrotel.us
Thu Oct 20 02:14:34 EDT 2011

This sounds very similar to something we've seen before.  Feel free to
contact me to look at specifics, but the basic gist of it is this:

ILECs don't have to interconnect with VOIP carriers.  Period.  They usually
do not do so.

ILECs do have to interconnect with CLECs.  However, smaller rural ILECs have
plenty of barriers that they erect to try to wear the CLEC down so they'll
give up before they succeed.  But in the end, they have to do it.

Once a CLEC is interconnected with the ILEC, they will have to port numbers
back and forth.  The CLEC can then serve the VOIP provider and provide the
service you seek.

The #1 factor here is economy of scale.  You've got to have enough business
in this ILEC territory to justify the cost and effort that the CLEC is going
to have to exert on your behalf.  If you've got 50 residential customers,
that isn't going to cut it.  I'd say a $5000.00 MRC to the CLEC is about the
bare minimum it would take to get us to do it again.  We have done it
before, and we're providing service in some small rural ILEC areas now in
exactly this fashion.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Ray, MBA, CNE, CTE