[VoiceOps] ATAs with CAT-iq and HD codec support

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Fri Sep 23 01:01:06 EDT 2011

If it were the wiring, jacks, or configuration of the wiring, you wouldn't be able to use DSL, which works at much higher frequencies.

There may be limitations of various handsets (especially with digital cordless phones, which digitally encode the signal to decode it at the other side, or key systems which do similar).

I see no reason a modern set based on an electret mike wouldn't work nicer and wouldn't at least have a bit higher fidelity than that captured by G711u. I could see if they have lowpass filters that keep sounds < 3khz off the line, but filters won't always roll off fast and hard and should leave at least a few hundred more hz.