[VoiceOps] Interstate vs. intrastate rates

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Aug 14 14:23:12 EDT 2012

Traditionally, in our trunk routing and rating system, we deal with
intra- and inter-state rates by mapping the ANI and the DNIS to regions,
which in turn have prefix lists associated with them.  If the regions
match, it's an intrastate call.  If they don't match, it's interstate.
If one or both of them cannot be mapped to a region, our system allows
you to choose default inter- or intra- treatment in such situations.

Recently, a customer approached us with a rate deck, from one of their
wholesale termination vendors, that had an additional "indeterminate"
rate column on it.  The rates didn't seem to differ substantially from
the intrastate rates (which tend to be higher), but they were different.

Is this a new trend?   Is this something we need to support to be on the
ball?  Or is this an exotic vendor?

Thanks,

--
Alex Balashov - Principal