[VoiceOps] Grandstream VoIP phones

Matt Yaklin myaklin at g4.net
Fri Aug 17 13:20:55 EDT 2012

We just ran into a problem of some Cisco phones not handling odd
quirks of a Sonicwall FW yet the Polycoms handled it like a champ.
I forget the model.

The sad thing is we provide the internet service and some other ISP
provides the SIP phone service. Since the SIP phone provider did not
assist the customer in figuring out why there was a problem we got
yelled at as the internet service provider who must be "causing the
issue". It was not our Sonicwall either.

The Sonicwall was delaying, from memory here, INVITES and they were
coming in bursts after a delay. The Cisco phones consistently dropped
the call afer 1-2 minutes, every single time.

Polycom handled it gracefully.

Grandstream left a bad taste in my mouth years ago and never tried
them again. I forget why. It has been years.

All Polycom here.

matt at g4.net