[VoiceOps] Grandstream VoIP phones

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Fri Aug 17 14:26:07 EDT 2012

If you care about speakerphone quality and clarity, you should be using
Polycom as they destroy everyone else, especially on the models that support
HD voice and therefore have the big speaker baffle and better microphones.
This is pretty clear when you see that all of Cisco's conference models are
just rebranded Polycom's with SCCP firmwares.  I'm a big Polycom fan in
general, but the Cisco 7940/60 is a close second (just wish it supported
more features like subscribe on the 3rd party SIP images).  The Cisco's do
have some problems with the speakerphone (and handset) at high volume, such
as sound still coming out the handset when it shouldn't and clipping.

It's been a long while since I touched a Grandstream, but I like using the
feel and weight of the handset as an indicator of build quality, and the
older Grandstreams failed that test miserably.

-Scott