[VoiceOps] SIP Trunk service for 706-778

Rob Hutton justlikeef at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:14:09 EDT 2012

All -

I have talked to three CLECs that have tried, and have experience where
they allowed one to provide service to a specific business in the area only
at threat of a lawsuit.

I have been told two things:

1) The technology in the area is too old to port off network.  They are
running 5Es, so while it is possible the software is too old, they hardware
will support it.  This is a smoke screen.

2) The requirements for cell phones are different.  They are in wording and
enforcement, but not in spirit, so this is a smoke screen, also.

In addition, I was told by an engineer that AT&T literally had equipment
sitting in the switch ready to install as they were going to purchase
minutes from the carrier, and the carrier didn't want to sell minutes, they
wanted two for one bi-directional long distance.  At which point AT&T
walked away.

All in all, it boils down to there being some loop holes in the letter of
the law that are evidently regularly abused (not just by this carrier) and
the only way to force their hand it to go through an arduous lawyer focused
arbitration process that the FCC has set up (Which I am told costs a
minimum of 15 to 20K of legal time), so unless there is a fair amount of
money to be made, never gets done.

In this case, the FCC has been unable to figure out how to even investigate
based on a consumer complaint.  I have provided the names of two of the
CLECs that were willing to actually go on record, and the most they have
been willing to do is send a request to the carrier (twice) requesting a
reason for rejecting the port request, to which the carrier responds with