[VoiceOps] Bizarre toll-free routing issue

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Mon Aug 27 19:54:40 EDT 2012

TF routing can actually be extremely complex, and the key to what's going on
is usually the RESPORG as they can see (and control) what carrier the calls
hit, over what trunks, and when.  Things can in fact change based on load,
originating carrier, TOD, outages, multi-carrier load balancing, etc.

One problem is it's the "owner" (RESPORG's end customer) of the TFN that the
RESPORG usually will talk to about this, so if it is a routing issue you'd
probably have the best luck if you can get a contact on the dialed end.

If it turns out the routing is simple, they you just have to push from your
side out until you find out where the problem is happening and why.  Perhaps
they have bad trunks to a specific carrier or some TNs provisioned locally
that shouldn't be (or the next guy does).

If the routing is complex, then you have to find out in which cases the
calls are failing and see if that provides a hint.  Sometimes the RESPORG
will be willing to make a change to help you troubleshoot.

That said, if this is a common occurrence on a specific origination carrier
you are using, there is probably a bigger issue to address and you might try
correlating multiple cases together and hoping their engineers can find the
commonality once you get a ticket escalated.

Good luck,

-Scott