[VoiceOps] Experiences with VoIP and 100+ seat sites

PE peeip989 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:52:09 EST 2012

It really is a matter of setting expectations and guiding them into the
21st century (sometimes kicking and screaming). In fact, I've heard our
sales folks tell prospects/customers that they will hate us for the first
couple weeks because we're disrupting how they used to do things but once
they get used to the changes they will recognize that it actually makes
their business better. We do quite a few deployments in the 100-1000 seat
range and in my experience:

1- As someone said, the senior management/CxO's need to feel important.
2- We have found that it is equally important (if not more so!) to make
their assistant feel important. If they're not happy, then the guy that
pays the bill won't be happy (sort of like the sayings, "a happy wife is a
happy life" and "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy")
3- As for key system emulation, Polycom does a pretty good job at keeping
Shared Call Appearances in sync (we're a Broadsoft shop). Aastra, not so
much. We don't do a lot of key system functionality, per se, but we do have
quite a bit of professional services (lawyers) that love to have their
assistant know when they are on the phone, so we do a good amount of
managed lines, although we try to steer users away from it if we can.