[VoiceOps] Rephrased Question: 100+ seat MIGRATIONS to VoIP

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Wed Feb 1 18:51:22 EST 2012

On 1 Feb 2012, at 17:37, Darren Schreiber wrote:

> 	We are working with a firm who is trying to move many high-volume (think lawyers offices, doctors offices, etc.) 100+ seat offices from KEY systems (BLFs, Line keys, All-set paging, Intercom, one-touch transfer, the works) to VoIP. We are trying to advise them on how to sell into their market the most effectively, but we are running into issues where the clients expect the new system to act like the old system. This ranges from quality to feature set. I'm trying to figure out how others have handled this.

If the primary consideration is that the system has to be like the old one.  Then you are lost.  The correct solution is the old one.  Don't change it.  Connect some SIP trunks and keep quiet.

If the problem is that the old system isn't meeting needs, then you need to find out what they do need.     And then get buy in from the users.

e.g - if receptionists can press a hot blind transfer button in the sales hunt group, they will learn to work a new phone.  Because they answer lots of calls which should go to sales and you made their life easy.

If you dump the system in, they will want the key system features because they want the lights to find who is free in the sales department to take the call.  You are on the back foot from day one.  Trying to play catchup with user requirements.

Or just please the boss by putting in DDI or Work group direct numbers in so the receptionist isn't taking calls.

A proper customer requirements analysis is what is required.   Most VoIP companies presume all phone systems are simple.  They also seem scared to bill the customer for installation planning time.

Tim