[VoiceOps] FCC issues Declaratory Ruling on Call Termination

Hiers, David David.Hiers at adp.com
Wed Feb 8 14:29:11 EST 2012

The big fix is the 'bill and keep' rule that is expected to kill all the traffic pumpers...

# # #
In that same Order, the Commission adopted
rules that should ultimately address the root causes of many rural call completion problems. In
particular, in comprehensively reforming ICC, the Order adopted a bill-and-keep methodology for all ICC
traffic, and adopted a transition to gradually reduce most termination charges, which, at the end of the
transition, should eliminate the primary incentives for cost-saving practices that appear to be undermining
the reliability of telephone service.
# # #

It'll take a decade to get there:

# # #
The transition to a bill-and-keep methodology for most terminating charges is nine years for rate-of-return
carriers.  See ICC/USF Transformation Order at para. 801 & Figure 9.  See also 47 C.F.R. §§ 51.907, 51.909.
# # #

This ruling seems to read more as  'stay the course'.  Throttling has always been prohibited, but when was the last time the commission dropped the hammer on anyone about it?

David Hiers

CCIE (R/S, V), CISSP
ADP Dealer Services
2525 SW 1st Ave.
Suite 300W
Portland, OR 97201
o: 503-205-4467
f: 503-402-3277

###Please note my email address is changing:
###from David_Hiers at adp.com
###  to David.Hiers at adp.com