[VoiceOps] Caller-ID: SIP From vs. P-Asserted-Identity

Dan York dyork at lodestar2.com
Tue Jul 24 17:31:48 EDT 2012

Jay,

I agree with Alex in that my research on the issue showed that Caller-ID was most often taken from P-A-I followed by From, with some people still using the now-deprecated RPID.

For passing the billing identifier, some network operators, carriers and ITSPs are using another header, P-Charge-Info, which I've been in the process of documenting for several years:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info

(and am hoping will move along further in the next few months).  The operators (and my prior employer was one of them) are using P-Charge-Info to carry a billing identifier that is completely separate from the identifier used for Caller-ID.  They do that only between themselves, i.e. the header is stripped before being sent on to others.

This is certainly not the only way to pass this kind of billing identifier, but it's one of the ones out there.

Regards,
Dan

P.S. I am NOT with Sonus Networks, even though the latest version of the document looks like I am.  The next version will correct that.

Dan York  dyork at lodestar2.com
Phone: +1-802-735-1624  skype:danyork
http://www.danyork.com/
http://twitter.com/danyork