[VoiceOps] Acme Packet University

Peter Rad. peter at 4isps.com
Thu Mar 15 10:35:50 EDT 2012

Today is the Acme Packet University and Analyst Day.

Some of the tweets had some nuggets I thought I would share:

Acme Packet Analyst Event: Now that SBC is standardized, what's
preventing others from catching up?

Acme Packet CTO MeLampy answer: Complexity has risen; so overwhelming
that it's a barrier to entry; APKT hired 200 ppl in the last 18 months
to tackle it.

Acme Packet CTO: standards complexity is killing the potential for
end-user services.  Patrick MeLampy discusses the newer complexities of
multimedia communications.

MeLampy: increased SIP complexity: 215 different RFCs related to SIP, 35
Internet drafts 2012 YTD, 80 Internet Drafts last 6 months

@Acme_Packet: MeLampy: all our old competitors tried to solve the sbc
problems like a firewall, and they all failed.

MeLampy: making a simple call :136 messages , 17 entities , 6 protocols;
Session state in 7 difference locations

MeLampy: Making a 3GPP call (SIP session layer): Phone registration: 30
messages, 11 entities , 5 protocols.

Andy Ory: As service providers are pushing to #LTE there are three
problems, the business challenges, tech issues, and complexity

Ory: our role in session enablement is to allow for simple
implementations, so service providers can compete with free voice services

Dan Warren - IMS brings everything good about TDM to an IP level. <so we
are back to talking about IMS, huh?>

Thank you.

Regards,

Peter Radizeski