[VoiceOps] Direct CLEC interconnect - taking the plunge

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Oct 18 14:02:50 EDT 2012

On 10/18/12 10:27 AM, Joe Fratantoni wrote:
> Yet another recommendation here for Mary Lou, we have used her with much
> success since our transition into becoming a CLEC. I still call her
> regularly with questions; an infinite source of knowledge!
>
> I think Scott really hit the nail on the head here. The ONLY real
> reasons to become a CLEC nowadays are access to customer loops, LEC
> duct, and right-of-ways. That's about it. The whole experience is, quite
> bluntly, a pain in the ass. When you aren't dealing with the usual
> regulatory upkeep; prepare for the LEC to fight you tooth and nail every
> step of the way.

We are already a CLEC - for access to customer loops, duct, and
right-of-way.

The reasons we are looking for direct interconnect:

* The majority of our customers are in one LATA.
* Shorter and consistent path back to the TDM world (fax, anyone?)
* More control over the porting process.
* Avoiding "Your intermittent issue is at an upstream carrier that we
can't name (Voldemort?) and we've asked them to fix it.  They report
that it's with an upstream carrier of theirs that they can't name..."

The last one is really aggravating when it happens, which seems to be
more and more frequently.

> If you are still committed to this, now is the time to address all of
> the things you won't want to deal with later.
>
> If you're going to colocate in the CO, how are you going to bring
> connectivity to it? Is there dark fiber inner-office transport
> available? Are there other colocators there you can source this from?
> Are you going to be using remote entrance facilities? Is there duct
> available for you to utilize? (~$2/ft mrc) Is there a decent customer
> base you can service with DSL? What is the condition of the phone lines?
> Is it an old farm town with 100+ year old paper-insulated copper pairs
> that are going to cause your customers issues?

Already in multiple local COs with DSLAMs, SHDSL, dark fiber.

> Time-wise, it is feasible for one person to manage all of your CLEC
> billing, ordering, numbers and portability, AOCN stuff, etc. BUT that
> WILL be that persons FULL TIME job. Don't trick yourself into thinking
> you can tackle all of these things and then your normal daily tasks.
> Hire someone full-time to deal with all of your ordering/support/carrier
> and lec responsibilities, and have Mary Lou train that person.

Good advice.  We already have a person dealing with much of this.
Ordering loops, CO co-location etc.  And we have people dealing with
number ports, e-911 location updates, etc with the other carriers.

And the below is gold - going in our wiki and being passed on.  Many thanks!

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net