[VoiceOps] GRE

Bob Hancock bobhancock205 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 10:17:52 EDT 2013

I have a project in which a user is interesting in interconnecting and
deploying ATAs for VoIP services but wants to use private IP addressing on
the devices. My initial though is to NAT these devices and allow my SBC to
handle NAT traversal for them. This allows the to use their dedicated
connection to my network or if that link goes down fail over to moving to
connecting across the internet. They are interested in potentially doing a
GRE tunnel and keeping the private addressing in place as it traverses that
tunnel. I am concerned about encapsulating the VoIP traffic as well as with
the fail over options. Does anybody have any experiences with VoIP over GRE
tunnels and what type of results and challenges you encountered? Thanks.

--BH