[VoiceOps] VoIP on 10mb Cat 3 switched network

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Fri Jan 4 13:53:28 EST 2013

In theory, 10 Mbps is certainly plenty.

But in any particular case, you've got to ask if the cabling ever used for Ethernet, or was it installed just for voice? And even if it had been used for Ethernet: it may have been dropping packets at 1% the whole time, but it was good enough for 1999 Internet, so nobody noticed.

If you have a good cable bandwidth tester, it would be smart to test. Failing that, it might work to put a phone on each port, run a 10 minute call, and look at the packet loss counts on both sides, and the error rates detected on the Ethernet switch. If they're below 0.1%, then your antique cabling might just work out.

Then your next hassle might be reconfiguring all the phones to use 10 Mbps.