[VoiceOps] VoIP on 10mb Cat 3 switched network

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jan 4 16:33:34 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Carlos Alvarez" <carlos at televolve.com>

> I was careful to specify it would be a switched network. We'd be putting
> in new switches. The cabling is likely old, and was used with a standard
> PBX previously.

And here is the most important bit.

Everyone's advice amounts to "10mbs cabling isn't a problem because it's
10 mbs... it's because 10mbs means it's old".

And you've provided the other important bit:

  it wasn't originally being used for Ethernet.

That strips off a whole-nother layer of good assumptions we can make about
the installed cabling, like that it used to successfully pass 10mb/s
ethernet traffic.  I gather that's not true, so you will probably have to
reterminate all of it, and you aren't completely guaranteed that some
voice guy didn't take voice-grade liberties with it in the middle, like 66
blocks or beanies, which will *also* downcheck it for data, even at 10mbs.

Cheers,
-- jra