[VoiceOps] CALEA for the small fry operator

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Jan 18 18:16:07 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com> wrote:
> Someone we work with calls Asterisk "crack."  You think you should get off
> of it, but every time you try something different it has various limitations
> that drive you back.  Our view is that Asterisk flexibility lets us do
> interesting things that other providers can't do with their high end
> commercial products, and we have customers who are with us specifically
> because they had a request that others said "can't" be done.  It also lets
> us build a crazy amount of physical redundancy for very little cost.

I've long been a fan of Asterisk (even before 1.0), but I have to say
that for flexibility, nothing beats FreeSWITCH. Literally *every*
aspect of it can be configured dynamically. Anyway, I not trying to
turn this into a Ford vs. Chevy thread. I only mention it because of
the insane levels of flexibility you can get. Personally, I'm happy to
have so many great tools to choose from.

Happy hacking!

Gabe Gunderson
izeni.com