[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:31:02 EST 2013

I believe Jay is correct here, though it is correctness of dubious
quality :P

They way this was always explained to me is:

If it looks like a phone and and a casual user could have a reasonable
expectation of it behaving as such then it MUST be able to dial 911.

This means:

IF you have a Cisco IP phone on your desktop with no DID but outbound
only service, then it must be able to dial 911 since most people will
have a reasonable expectation of it behaving like any POTS line.

If you configure a soft phone on your PC with the same outbound only
account, it is completely compliant because it doesn't have the same
expectation.

Furthermore, if you are simply a provider of sip trunking services, and
you offer distinct inbound and outbound products, I dont believe you
have to offer 911 since it is not "interconnected voip" but if you offer
a bi-directional product then you do because it is "interconnected voip".

Fairly basic guidelines IMO.

Again IANAL, YMMV, harmful if swallowed etc etc.

-Ryan