[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Sat Jan 19 09:16:58 EST 2013

PBXs can associate a single line for one location or have multiple lines,
one for each location so that there is an address in the ALI database for
each location. These lines are all fixed though so it's very different from
VOIP because the end user can move their phone to any location that has
internet access and use it without the switch being re-programmed. That's
why there is a requirement for the CLEC to offer a way for the customer to
update their information in the ALI database themselves.

Someone asked me about who provides the VOIP ALI update solution and I
couldn't find a provider, but in researching it I did find that there
appears to be an issue with this method because the ALI database doesn't
update in real time and since users could plug their phone in and update the
address, it didn't mean that the ALI database identified the location
correctly. YMAX commented to the FCC in November 2011 (see the link below)
that they had a solution that could work. It involved attaching a GSM
cellular transceiver to their MagicJack device so the location could be
identified but it also relied on having some type of database with customer
locations to help it identify which PSAP needed to be contacted so it
doesn't appear that is totally thought out either. It appears to me that
even though there are some requirements that the FCC put out about updating
the ALI database, the details of exactly how that will work aren't totally
worked out because of the issue with the ALI database. To me......that seems
like a great business opportunity for someone! If you could figure out how
to get a VOIP phone to automatically identify the exact location of the
phone whenever its plugged in and transmit that location to a VOIP ALI
database (which you'd need to create), then you could sell the service to
both PSAPs AND VOIP providers!

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view;jsessionid=c1M1QZvLvW9XfyYDpTwlMGN1QK
T7yhs21npc4ThYvwR61R6JK4yv!-56284754!-224088840?id=7021744691

Mary Lou Carey
BackUP Telecom Consulting
marylou at backuptelecom.com
Office: 615-791-9969 x 2001