[VoiceOps] the "microsoft scam calls". Do you have some statistics for us?

Sjur Eivind Usken sjur at usken.no
Mon Jan 28 04:56:10 EST 2013

Hi,

You are probably familiar with the Microsoft scam calls.

I am part of the Honeynet Project and we are actively tracking these guys.
If you have any information about it, please let me know.

It would be great if you could give us some statistics on the following
Number of calls with CallerID 3581256789999  (probably fake, but they use
the same..)
Approx number of numbers you have in your range  (and geographical
location)
Number which answered and the length of the calls (if you can provide this
as well)

Here are some statistics about the MS scam calls so far from another
provider:

They had 10396 tries, where 9363 the phone rang (was online) in 7 days
of those 5853 did not answer (called for 60 seconds)

3510 answered the call  (approx 35% !!)
92% had less than 1 min call duration
96% had less than 2 min call duration
98% had less than 3 min call duration

 High talkers (seconds):

1127

1257

1406

1489

1620

2005

2473

2661

3661

3954

4296

5201

5813

6033

which means that probably 8-9 customers got frauded... in one week...

--

Regards
Sjur Eivind Usken