[VoiceOps] VoIP traffic survey

Justin B Newman justin at ejtown.org
Mon Mar 4 09:18:15 EST 2013

Frank,

As I'm sure you're aware, the FCC's compensation scheme does not in
any way relate to the media over which calls are delivered. The
argument that migration to another technology for call completion
would somehow change compensation is, in my view, FUD, designed to
continue an outmoded interconnection scheme that tends to have higher
start-up costs, thereby favoring incumbents.

Ultimately, the FCC has made it clear, repeatedly, that they favor a
bill and keep ICC scheme, regardless of technology. This scheme, which
looks like email and will likely result in a continued increase in
junk calls, makes the historical practice of funding higher cost
(rural) implementations through ICC unworkable.

Ultimately, I feel that the FCC is ignoring the difficult issues in
order to placate a very limited number of large "sponsors." This is a
problem for all remaining vendors, rural, IP, CLEC, or otherwise.
Rural vendors would be well-suited to adopt better cost schemes where
they can (including SIP-based interconnection) in order to limit the
long-term damage done by regulators dis-interested in their problems.

Just my perspective.

-jbn