[VoiceOps] Call Forwarding is broken; or, when CF meets LCR

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Thu Mar 21 00:50:13 EDT 2013

In SS7 the parameters are called:
CallingPartyNumber
ChargeNumber

You also commonly see:
GenericAddressParameter (if the number is ported into you, the call will enter your switch with the CalledPartyNumber of your LRN, with the real destination number hidden in the Generic Address Parameter)

GenericName (uncommon in US, common in Canada, this is used to send the caller ID with name data inband (typically you do a TCAP dip to a special point code set up by your SS7 provider that redirects your query to the correct carrier CNAM database using Global Title Translation) but in Canada, they don't do this, so you get your caller ID data this way)

JurisdictionalInformationParameter (a/k/a JIP - This is the NPA/NXX homed off the originating switch (generally switches use the LRN's NPA/NXX specifically), so you can track usage back to the originating LEC even if CallingPartyNumber and ChargeNumber are blank)

Commonly CallingPartyNumber is your "Caller ID" or CPN
Commonly ChargeNumber is your ANI/BTN

If you send a call to an IXC across a tandem, they'll typically be screening your subscriber based on the ChargeNumber. And the ChargeNumber is supposed to be sent even if the customer sends no CallingPartyNumber So I'd refer to this as the ANI.

However, every wholesale carrier termination product I've seen bills your call jurisdiction based on the location of your switch (even our SS7 based interconnects) and that's what appears in our CDRs (even when we can otherwise specify ChargeNumber) so the ChargeNumber is ignored for that jurisdictional information, so this may all be a moot point unless you're handing the call off directly to another carrier.

-Paul