[VoiceOps] Testing DIDs from multiple providers

PE peeip989 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 13:43:32 EDT 2013

Definitely an interesting idea with value. Would obviously depend on cost,
of course, but I could see us using such a service. Another twist, but
similar to Carlos's notion of doing routine testing, would be to place a
periodic call to a known number (or numbers) on your network over a defined
list of carriers and report back the failures. Maybe have it detect
specific DTMF? For example, set up a mailbox with a greeting that plays
##00**. The subscriber would define a list of carriers (say, for example,
4) and have the service dial the mailbox once over each carrier, at the
defined interval, and then listen for the expected digits. Maybe report MOS
as well?

If one were to create such a service, I would see it being rated on a per
call basis. For example:

Interval = x (in seconds)
Number of Carriers = y
Cost per call = z

Calls per day = C = ((86400 / x) * y)

Usage cost = (C * z)

To further illustrate:
x = 300 (every 5 minutes)
y = 4
z = $0.05

C = ((86400 / 300) * 4) = 1152
Usage cost = 1152 * 0.05 = $57.60

Not sure what z would need to be to make it worth someone's time to create
such a product. You'd need to be pretty well connected to be able to offer
this ubiquitously.