[VoiceOps] Ghost calls - Sipvicious?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Nov 12 23:43:17 EST 2013

On 11/12/13 6:40 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> I would suggest capturing packets towards the devices experiencing it,
> behind the NAT device, using Wireshark -----   I would wonder first if
> either the  NAT/ACL  isn't working as designed;  or traffic is coming
> from a SIP ALG /  inside the NAT;  spoofing the SBC's  source IP seems
> terribly unlikely.
>
> I think it's more likely, there's an unexpected way the Polycom is being
> contacted,  such as a proxy service on a router.

Good idea, but these are typically remote customer sites and any
individual phone maybe gets one of these ghost calls per day or two, so
implementation is kind of tough.

> Then there is that matter of;    "Does your NAT device verify the
> foreign IP address of reverse traffic  like a full stateful firewall
> would,   or does it just  check  the destination port number on an
> incoming packet,  and immediately   translate  to internal IP based on
> the destination port number  and forward  to the internal device?"
>
> In the latter case,  the internal device might be contacted on port 5060
>  from other  internet hosts  scanning the ephemeral port range;   if
> that 5060 from the internal device  has recently been used as a source
> port from the Polycom contacting the SBC.

That's kind of what I was thinking but we're also seeing it from behind
an Adtran IAD with a SIP ACL that permits only our SBCs.

> So a full packet capture from the network with the handsets, could give
> you a better idea,  of what you are seeing.

Absolutely agreed.  The Polycom XML code mentioned earlier looks
promising as well.

The curious thing is that this is suddenly happening within the past two
days on installations that have been trouble-free for months.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net