[VoiceOps] Issues with ISPs blocking SIP 5060 - 5061

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Nov 20 19:57:35 EST 2013

On 11/20/13 3:51 PM, David Thompson wrote:
> Has anyone been having problems lately with ISPs’ actively blocking UDP
> 5060 – 5061? I’m having problems with Road Runner in Hawaii apparently
> blocking those ports preventing me from communicating with the customers
> PBX. My customer has a ticket open with them but we aren’t confident
> that we’ll get anywhere with them. If we don’t is there an authority
> that we can speak with that can make them open those ports or face
> sanctions?

I haven't run into any blocking, but we're seeing more and more
instances where the larger carriers will install some sort of NAT router
as the handoff on residential and small business accounts as opposed to
giving the customer a DHCP or static public IP.

Many of these devices horribly break SIP, especially if you're putting
any kind of ALG behind them.

Getting the carrier to turn off all of the cruft and just give you raw
access to the Internet is often an exercise in futility.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net