[VoiceOps] Issues with ISPs blocking SIP 5060 - 5061

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 13:54:05 EST 2013

We see this with alarming regularity. Often it conveniently corresponds
with a marketing push from the MSO for triple play offerings. I recall
this happened at my home when I was with one of those players, and
suddenly my home line on my network stopped being able to talk to my
border elements. The MSO support played the "well youll need to talk to
your ITSP about that, OR you could just switch to our phone service"
card at which point I explained I was my ITSP and then it magically
started to work...

Eventually we just abandoned the usual ports completely. When this
happens to the customer the perception is you suck and the MSO has their
act together because THEIR phone works. Not worth the fight, since you
will have it every promotional cycle and evidence is VERY difficult to
collect.