[VoiceOps] [VOIPSEC] Phone fraud doubles

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Nov 21 19:41:40 EST 2013

On 11/21/13 1:15 PM, J. Oquendo wrote:

> Manager: "Wow we are getting attacked aren't we!"
>
> Scans - I don't count as attacks
> Enumeration - I don't count that either
>
> I could an actual compromise as an attack. We have had
> those on PBXs we provided trunks for. This is because
> the clients don't learn no matter what we tell them. "Stop
> using 12345 as a password k thanx!"

I would argue that fraud attempts count as attacks.  They're
unsuccessful attacks but they are still attacks.

If someone shoots at you and misses, it's still an assault with a deadly
weapon.

I'd count multiple attempts from the same source as part of the same
script as a single attack.

If you see the same source trying voicemail passwords of 1234, 12345,
123456, last 4 of DID, last 5 of DID, last 6 of DID, that's one attack.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net