[VoiceOps] Major carriers and odd T.38 behavior

Tim Jackson jackson.tim at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 18:01:51 EDT 2013

An aggregator documents this as:

In order for the carriers to re invite T.38, your initial invite must
have G.729a (1) as priority.
If you want your switch to re invite T.38 your initial invite must
have G.711u (2) as priority.

INVITE Codec priority in SDP
1. m=audio xxxxxx RTP/AVP 18 0 101
2. m=audio xxxxxx RTP/AVP 0 18 101

T.38 interop in my experience sucks. Faxing completion with 711
generally works, and is the most stable, especially as your carrier
count (and interop complexity) increases...