[VoiceOps] VoIP over 3G/4G Data Connection

Jared Geiger jared at compuwizz.net
Fri Jul 25 12:41:55 EDT 2014

I would suggest getting a static IP from the carrier. The Carrier Grade NAT
that US mobile providers use could make stationary phones lose registration
without it. On LTE, you'll be fine with almost any codec that you want. I
typically use ulaw and g722 over 4G LTE with no problems. If you are doing
it over a 3G connection, stick with g729.

TCP isn't mandatory, I use UDP signaling and don't have issues on T-Mobile,
Sprint, or Verizon LTE. I have not tried AT&T LTE and VoIP. I would suggest
talking with the carrier you chose to see what their session timeout value
is. You'll want to set your registration time lower than this to keep the
Internet session up. You may be able to even set the session refresh rate
in the cradlepoint itself. I have not used them though.

Good luck and report back!

~Jared