[VoiceOps] High Quality, Reliable Voice via the Internet / SIPNOC

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Jun 9 20:42:59 EDT 2014

In a previous life my $PARTIME_JOB did some VoIP testing and found that VoIP
testing through a VPN tunnel resulted in a higher MOS. What we eventually
realized is that undelivered packets over the WAN were automatically
re-transmitted by the VPN.  This only works if the missing packet can be
re-transmitted before the far side's jitter buffer is drained.  So raising
the jitter buffer to 60 or 80 msec can help if the RTT is less than 60 msec.

Frank