[VoiceOps] High Quality, Reliable Voice via the Internet / SIPNOC

Christopher E. Brown chris.brown at acsalaska.net
Tue Jun 10 03:40:15 EDT 2014

Looking at it from the wrong viewpoint.

In this situation we are assuming that VOIP traffic is sharing a whole
series of transmit queues with no VOIP traffic, specifically general
Internet traffic.

VOIP and similar is relativly high PPS for the data rate, but is in
comparison to general data flows low volume (octets wise) and constant
(VBR action in codecs can cause a flow to vary in B/W by > 50% in short
time windows but the actual variance is small, generally single or
double digit kbps, not double or triple digit mbps.

If all the traffic in a queue was VOIP or equiv, than in the aggregate
of tens to thousands of calls the rate is very, very smooth and you can
go ahead and load that pipe to 95% or better on a 30 second average
without burst drop.

General data usage...  Very, very bursty.  These days a $350 laptop is
easily capable of generating 200KB bursts at 600 - 800 Mbit without even
trying.

Unless the core links handling bulk traffic are a large multiple of the
customer interface rates (real or emulated by a very granular shaper)
and on average have a good multiple of the largest customer service rate
free you are going to see burst drop