[VoiceOps] Asterisk Inconsistently sending RTP for deterministic set of orig DIDs

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Jun 19 16:04:37 EDT 2014

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Eric Wieling wrote:

> Some people, when confronted with a ringback problem, think "I know, I'll
> use the 'r' option to Dial."   Now they have two problems.  -- with
> apologies to Jamie Zawinski
>
> I don't think the 'r' option to Dial has solved anything for anyone in
> many years.  Asterisk will normally generate ringback if it thinks it
> should, such as during a Dial.   If that doesn't work, try using the
> Ringing or Playtones app.   All 'r' does is unconditionally block early
> media from the destination and replace it with generated ringback audio.

  Using 1.4.28.

  The biggest issue is that all of our carriers behave inconsistently to
  signaling, and with our solution we sometimes play a short audio clip
  prior to forwarding the call. If we don't answer() the call, the different
  carriers may or may not play that audio prior to ringing.

  Got any pointers to Asterisk versions and how to unify and solve
  inconsistent carrier behavior without the global 'r' hack? I'll go Google
  it, but if you have any you can share, thanks!

Beckman