[VoiceOps] HIPAA compliance

Peter Rad. peter at 4isps.com
Wed Jun 25 09:24:57 EDT 2014

On 6/25/2014 12:08 AM, David Wessell wrote:
> The actual phone calls fall out of the realm of HIPAA. However
> voicemails, call recordings, and anything similar are all considered
> to be PHI. A vendor would need to be willing to sign a BAA and assume
> a large liability in fines if any PHI from the above is exposed.
>
> dw

DW is correct.  VM, efax, and other areas where the call which may
contain ePHI should be secure and encrypted in storage.

A Business Associate Agreement spells out responsibilities, so you could
give one that in fact limits your liability.

Much of the ePHI spillage is at the doctors' ends - the smartphones,
speakerphones, transcription recordings, etc.
Many HITECH experts claim the iPhone is the weakest link.

- Peter