[VoiceOps] Timing slips on subrate DS1s on CT3

Mark Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Sat Mar 8 11:33:41 EST 2014

Normally in the TDM world, you don't try to time a DS3 off anything on
a DS3, including a DS1. You time a DS3 off a T1 transmitting all 1s,
preferably one generated by a BITS clock.

As I think you alluded, the DS1 -- what you're using to derive timing
-- is a layer above the T1 where the clock ticks happen.

But whatever it takes to discipline the internal 1.544 MHz clock to
sync up with the transmitter will work. It's interesting that Cisco
has this option.

Cisco TDM always seems a little out of step with traditional (and
often overpriced) 1970s-thought-process TDM gear.