[VoiceOps] Preventing calls to cell phones with guaranteed accuracy

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Aug 25 18:24:49 EDT 2015

On 08/25/2015 05:52 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> On 08/25/2015 04:41 PM, Paul Timmins wrote:
>
>> most landline carriers won't port it to a landline if it's out of
>> ratecenter.
>
> I thought ports were only possible within a rate centre, and so by
> definition impossible to port to a carrier which doesn't operate in
> that rate centre?

That's what the rules say, yes. The language seems clear but these days
really isn't.

The technology itself lets you basically port anything in the LATA
you're in as long as your LRN is well connected. "operating in the
ratecenter" can get pretty nebulous when you're talking about things
like hosted PBX, remote call forwards, VoIP ATAs, remote office things
like google voice, etc.

Nothing technically stops me from providing you a POTS line here in
Detroit with a Los Angeles phone number, in and out. I could load a
detroit 911 address and even not have to worry that you'll die if
something untoward happens here. And it could all be as baseband voice
on that twin copper wire coming into your house (and I could put bonded
VDSL2/ADSL2+ on that if you wanted, too, depending on the wirecenter and
distance!). For me, it's just keystrokes at my desk. And depending on
what and how you and I contract, there's nothing at all illegal or even
unethical about it. Heck, foreign exchange lines are a tariffed product
still in many states!

What i cannot do for sure is have you request service from me, give you
a number 3 towns over and not have you aware of that, and then laugh as
you try to take that to AT&T POTS and watch them tell you in a
bewildered tone that you can't keep that number and how do you have that
anyway.

(This language applies mostly to Michigan as we've mostly deregulated
our entire telecom industry here, to the consumer's detriment)

-Paul