[VoiceOps] Hardware transcoding solutions?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Aug 27 17:31:56 EDT 2015

On 08/27/2015 05:21 PM, Simon Perreault wrote:

> The hardware is generic and I don't see any reason
> FreeSWITCH/Asterisk/anything else couldn't achieve the same performance.
> Hence my question: "Have you even tried?" I would have liked the OP to
> post some benchmarking results to start the discussion, but it looks as
> though he just assumed that software couldn't possibly attain his
> required performance level. If that is true, then providing a rough idea
> of what level of performance software can attain *is* indeed helping the OP.

Based on Brooks' post, I think the physical and power footprint
requirements as well as in-house supportability are paramount here.

There's no question that a few Freeswitch boxes can do this in software
just fine, and I don't think that's under controversy. But I don't think
it's what he wants.

Simon, I think you're under the impression that you're arguing with a
traditional ILEC blockhead/troglodyte who doesn't understand FOSS.
That's an understandable assumption given the amount of people on this
list who seem to be constitutionally unable/who cholerically refuse to
grasp that one doesn't need to spend $200,000 on a proprietary appliance
to accomplish fairly trivial objectives, but in this case incorrect.
It's just not what Brooks wants. :-)

303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30346
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)