[VoiceOps] USF and Minimum Billing

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Dec 3 12:33:43 EST 2015

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015, Carlos Alvarez wrote:

> I agree with you, and I'd ask the carrier to remove that.  It sounds like
> you haven't asked yet.  The whole thing is highly negotiable anyway, since
> it wasn't an actual cost to them.  You might even get them to drop it or
> severely reduce the overage based on future business.

  I've asked -- this email is verbatim what I sent to them. Their response:

  "We consider the minimum commitment to make up for services that were not
   utilized during the usage period. Therefore all taxes and regulatory fees
   associated with the service/product will also apply to the minimum
   commitment fee on your invoice."

  But that isn't how the FCC requirements read.

  The frustrating part -- engaging a lawyer is likely more expensive than
  simply giving up. And leaving the carrier hurts my business. And this is
  only a one-time issue, not an ongoing billing dispute.

  I'm quite confident that the USF shouldn't be billed on this non-telecom
  fee, and I can get a lawyer involved and they'll capitulate, but it will
  likely create bad blood plus I'll lose money on the process.

  I really really dispise companies not taking ownership of issues and just
  blinding standing ground. It makes me wish there were more telecom
  companies that highly regarded customer service like Zappos.

Beckman