[VoiceOps] Future of the Traditional PSTN vs VOIP and VoLTE

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Dec 5 17:07:03 EST 2015

On 12/05/2015 05:01 PM, Erik Flournoy wrote:

> Your description of Inteliquent makes a lot of since. It's essential
> how the internet was born via free interconnections at hub locations.
> Of course you paid to get to the location but once you built your
> fiber or back then copper path you just plugged in.

Yeah, but this idea isn't new. It's a very obvious logical leap for
VoIP. You can find exciting! magnanimous! proposals! for VoIP peering
going back to the turn of the century.

They were all hampered by a lack of critical mass: so you connect to
NexGenIPTopia, then what? Who are you going to pass traffic to? A
handful of other no-name ITSPs?

What makes Inteliquent more viable in this regard is that wireless
majors and folks like Comcast - evidently - participate.

However, I don't see what the small operator really gets out of it,
especially if you're talking in big, paradigmatic change terms. So, it's
another proprietary tandem, notionally more pleasant than the ILEC to
deal with. Okay?

-- Alex

303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30346
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)