[VoiceOps] Future of the Traditional PSTN vs VOIP and VoLTE

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Dec 7 01:15:45 EST 2015

On 12/06/2015 11:31 PM, Mary Lou Carey wrote:

> NC/NCI information is company specific so it's actually the ILEC that
> documents that information......you just have to know where to go to
> look for it!

Technically, ILECs publish a lot of stuff publicly, to comply with the
letter of regulations requiring them to do so. However, most of it is
not digestible or usable to those who work outside the world of ILEC
provisioning, so it has to be processed into commercial databases like
the LERG and LCADS. The same mafia then charges for access to these, for
reasons motivated by profit and creating systemic barriers to entry for
small competitors.

If anyone balks at the seemingly surreal cocktail of having to sell
one's kidney for access to notionally public information, the ILECs can
always say: "You can download the 90 page local tariff yourself right
there from our web site, you just have to know where to look! The
commercial databases are just adding value by composing it into readily
machine-processable form!"

This is one of the most common cop-outs of New Gilded Age sociopaths;
"we're complying with the letter of the law, and we reserve the right to
charge a reasonable fee for putting the information into a convenient
form for you..." Except, there wouldn't be a need to take 90 pages of
arcane prose and turn it into a few table rows of values if they did not
themselves dictate the rules; there is no "value add" in the LERG
because it is a response to a artificial contrivance, a purely invented
problem of the ILECs' own deliberate making. It exploits information
asymmetries and differences of power between big and small actors in the
same way as pseudoscientific chemistry gibberish on early 20th century
quack remedies, or the fine print on 264-page subprime mortgage issuance
binders.

I think that's really the essence of Erik's grievance, and it's a valid
one. Sure, you can participate in the PSTN*.

* Expensive semi-proprietary decoder ring and beaucoup bucks required.

-- Alex

303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30346
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)